Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to school, back to school...

Indeed. Week 1 is done, hello, goodbye. I survived. Today was the start of week 2 and I was pleasantly surprised that my students didn't forget that we line up in straight, quiet lines, put our homework on our desk first thing and put in a pin if we are hot lunch. Bam, they aced it! Last week was exhausting, week 2 won't be any different. I love it, it is so great to be back in the routine I am used to, surrounded by my colleagues, motivated by my students. Yup, they motivate me, to teach them more, take them farther, dig deeper. It is hard to believe I am starting my 6th year as a teacher, time has flown by. What I can believe is how much these kids have taught me. As I reflect back on my first year teaching it is a trip to see where I have come. First off, I was teaching kindergarten, the little kids who need help wiping their nose, and now I am teaching 6th grade, the big kids, who know that saying they have to wipe their nose is just an excuse to get out of their desk. I went from teaching phonics to reading novels, from counting beans to teaching geometry. My first year I didn't understand the full potential I had to make in a child's life, even if it is just one. I didn't understand that God had put me in a place where I could make a difference. Now I do, I have a renewed sense of being a "teacher." Yes, I strive for phenominal test scores, yes, I strive for growth, I strive to teach discipline, I strive to teach respect, but more than anything, I strive to make sure every child knows that I care about them, that they can and are going to amount to something. There are days I'm frustrated, days I have tears, days I don't want to go back to work. But there will never be a day when I give up on my students, I will simply take a deep breath, compose myself and keep fulfilling my purpose. When I left my classroom today I was satisfied, I couldn't help but smile knowing that every day I get to live out my purpose, I get to pour out love while surrounded by 35 diverse students who have different needs, different opinions and life experiences, I get to learn something new from each and every one of them and I get to teach with a staff who shares the same goal and purpose as me. This year my students will challenge me on many levels, I will challenge them, we will grow together, laugh together, and fail together. I can't wait. I am thankful for another year to touch lives, my prayer is that I can fulfill God's purpose, to love each and every one of his precious creations. I am in disbelief that He has trusted me with these angels, what an honor. How lucky am I?

Here is my finished classroom...it will look so much better with student work on the walls!


Hugs, Annie


My "lovebomb" sheet, love the quote...so true

Had to share this, the empty jar is filling up, love to see them lifting each other up!

My history wall, student work to come
Front of the room...those are cococuts and it says "Room 22 is on a Safari for Success"Writing wall...LOVE the animal print scrapbook paper!

"Reaching High" on giraffe print paper...get it? This is the students area, they can touch anything here...

View of another wall...


There desk on the first day of school, LOVE their folders, the scrapbook paper again! Bulletin Boards waiting to be filled with student work, the ancient civilization posters will work for now...


My space, pictures of my friends, family and students, it keeps me sane :)