Saturday, June 11, 2011

Last Day of School

Yesterday was the last day of my first year teaching 6th grade. After teaching kindergarten for three years, and 1st grade for one year at Maple Creek my hopes came true and there was a need for another 6th grade teacher. I have always wanted to teach upper grade, not that I don't love the little ones. This year did not disappoint. I had an amazing class, some kiddos I know will forever be a part of my life...I have already lined them up for babysitting jobs when Jason and I start a family! So, obviously, yesterday was an emotional day, it was their last day at Maple Creek, I won't get to see them on campus anymore unless they come visit. This was a huge change from kinder and 1st grade, I knew that I would see them on the yard in the years to come. I am going to share the letter I wrote to my students, one that I hope they will hold on to forever.

To My First 6th Grade Class EVER:
Thank you for making my first year as a 6th grade teacher so memorable. Each and every one of you has shaped me as a teacher in your own way. Whether or not it was by testing my patience, teaching me something new; or building me up, you have changed me forever.

I remember walking out to pick up my new class on the first day of school. I was nervous, excited and anxious to meet you. When I walked you in and let you in the classroom to find your desk it was silent, no one said a word, it remained that way for a total of one day! It didn't take me long to figure out that somehow all the socialites ended up in room 22! I wouldn't have had it any other way. I love the personality that each of you brought to our room 22 family. Rather it was humor, insight, sarcasm, wit or intelligence it was all part of the recipe that makes this class so special.

The memories we created in this class are forever imprinted on my heart. I will never forget Tasha's rendition of Bon Qui Qui. I am convinced that when I go to raise my voice at a student next year I am going to say "Jarrod" on accident. I will probably chuckle to myself on a bad day next year as I replay Jarrod's graceful trip as he tried to run out the door or the time he laid out to beat me in a game of duck, duck, goose...better luck next time. I will miss my girls; Riley, Tasha, Julianna, Jillian and Julia coming by to hang out before school and our discussions of the previous night's episode of American Idol. I will always remember the wonderful group of cheerleaders I had in my class; Julia, Stacy, Stephanie, Tasha and Riley, no one can make Husky Pride signs like you girls! Everytime I look at my plastic candy jar I will think of Parker and the day he accidently broke the one I had. Even though I told him not to worry about it, he did, and sure enough on Monday he brought me a new one. I will miss...Hyatt's sweet smile, Chloe's stories, Nick's jokes, Corey's sometimes silly excuses, Jace's baseball stories, Chris's laughter, Joseph M.'s art, Alexis's spanish speaking skills (thanks for helping me out), Hunter's dances, Thavary's sweet spirit, Talha's nice work, Lauren's sweet voice, Antonio's shy grin, Joesph R.'s bargains, Cameron's gentleman ways, Tyler's bright shoes and sweet smirk when he knows he got caught, George's big words, Katherine's compliments, Jade's creativity, Jennifer's energy, Keren's blinged out outfits, Hannah's helpful hands, Mohammad's smile that I had to work so hard for! And I don't know how I am going to keep up with the schedule without Zoey there to keep me on track!

I hope you know that as your teacher I deeply care about you and your future. Each of you is overflowing with talent. As you step foot out of room 22 today and on to the rest of your life I want you to remember that each one of you is worth a million bucks, that I will always be your teacher, that room 22 will always be your home, and that now, more importantly I will always be your friend. Life may get challenging, homework harder, schedule's busier, friendship's trickier but I encourage each one of you to keep going, push harder, achieve more than you ever thought you could. And remember that your 6th grade teacher cares about you, that my door is always open and hugs are free. I will miss this class, you have been family this past year, we have grown together, and we have achieved, celebrated and been each other's shoulder to lean on. We will continue to grow together, achieve, celebrate and be there for one and other...just not in room 22. Promise me that you will come back and visit me, share your life, your celebrations and achievements with me. Because as you move on to bigger things, I am still here, and I will still care about you just as much as I do today. Once a Husky, always a Husky! Good luck!

Husky Hugs, Mrs. Papi





Riley...one of the BEST student's I have ever had, she just received our cheer award!


Hugs, Mrs. Papi :)