Monday, June 27, 2011

Our 1st Anniversary Trip

Yesterday marked J and I's first anniversary. For our anniversary, in keeping with the theme of firsts, we ventured down south to try things for the "first" time. Yes, we went to the same places we know and love but we made a pact to try new things while at these familiar places! On Friday evening we rolled into The Grove to eat, shop and visit the Farmer's Market. I have been to The Grove many times but had never stepped foot in the Farmer's Market. It was pretty cool, there was everything from live music, to restraunts, to little shops selling knick-knacks, to fruit stands and candy stores. The place was packed, J and I were so hungry, all the people whose plates we were eyeing probably thought we were a little weird. It all looked so yummy! When we left the Farmer's Market we decided to pick a restraunt to try for the "first" time, we landed on Marmalade Cafe. When we passed it on the way to the market the bright yellow umbrellas, cute booth cushions, and plates filled with yummy food were calling my name. The dinner didn't disappoint, we had sweet potato fries and yummy panini sandwiches! We finished up the night browsing in a few stores before heading to our hotel. It was a perfect evening!

Outside the entrance to Farmer's Market Marmalade CafeThe Grove
We woke up Saturday morning and headed to our favorite spot, the happiest place on earth, Disneyland! It was an absolutley gorgeous day, the sun was shining, and the sky was blue! We kept with our pact of "firsts." This was a little tricky because we are at Disneyland so often, so we had to try to mix it up! We picked new places to eat, we went on the canoes for the first time (which was a lot of manual labor, but the tour guide was hilarious), and rode the Disney train. As we were waiting for the new parade to start, I spotted a man walking by with a sliced apple sitting in a bowl of caramel sauce. I had to have it. Apples and caramel are two of my favorite things. Jason found the hidden, secret spot that sells these apples and ice cream. Score! Another "first," first of many I should say...I found a new favorite treat at Disneyland! We watched the new "Soundsational Parade" for the "first" time. It was really neat, each float was a different Disney movie, the characters from the movie were all dancing on the float and singing one of the songs from the movies. After the parade we figured we would tackle the new Star Tours line, which was well worth it. I am sure this was the "first" of many times on this new and improved ride. We headed back to the hotel to take a break, and change for the fun filled night at Downtown Disney, California Adventure and Disneyland! I even busted out my Mickey gear for the "first" time ever! This was hands down one of my favorite trips to Disneyland, maybe it was because we tried new things, maybe it was because the weather was perfect, maybe it was because I was their with the love of my life celebrating our first anniversary!
Waiting for the parade to start...
My delicious, new hidden treasure...the caramel was warm too!
Soundsational Parade
In line for the new Star Tours
Anniversary Kiss!The next day was our actual anniversary so we got up and headed to Newport, instead of driving straight to Fashion Island, like we always do, we decided to mix it up and head to Balboa Island. We had never been there together so it was another "first." It was another beautiful day and being at the beach made it that much better. We spent some time walking through the little beach shops, ate lunch on the pier and watched the dolphins jump in and out of the water. We even rode the auto ferry (another first) back to the other side of the peninsula! From there we headed to Fashion Island to do so me shopping. As if Jason had not done enough for me already he wanted to take me shopping! Thanks for the new Tory Burch kicks babe! We spent the afternoon oohing and awwing over all the cute dogs and reminiscing on our special day just one year ago. We ended the trip at Sprinkles Cupcakes in Newport Beach, the place where the Jason got done on one knee and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. There was no better ending to our perfect weekend away, celebrating our past year and dreaming of whats to come. Thanks for a very special weekend babe, I can't wait for the many more years of wedded bliss to come! XOXO
Shopping at Fashion Island
Sprinkles...where my happily ever after began!
My cherry on top: When we got home at 1am, we popped in our wedding video (a new anniversary tradition) and laughed, and cried til the end! What a perfect ending to a perfect weekend!


Hugs, Annie & J