Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Personal Reflection

When I run I love to reflect, it is typically the time where I can clear my mind and really reflect on life. I never know what thought will pop into my head and I don't plan it, it just happens, and it's awesome. Last night on my run I began relecting on my frustrations as a teacher, at first my thoughts were jumbled bouncing from hours put in compared to pay, student achievement, questioning how big of a difference I am making etc. As these thoughts began to settle down I remembered a conversation I once had with a colleague, and this is the part where it gets good. I began reflecting on how each one of my students was God's creation, how He loves each one so much and how He has called me as a teacher to love them the same way He loves them. It was at this moment that the jumbled thoughts I had tossed back and forth minutes before became ever so clear. I don't work for money, power, possesions, and self-worth, for these things are selk-seeking. I work to spread God's love, to care about kids because for some, their teacher is all they have. I work to give kids opportunities, to model how to love and care about others so that someday when they grow up they can inspire others to do the same. It is not always easy and when I left work today I was beating myself up again, and then I was reminded who I am working for. It's not about what I am getting, it is about what I can give. Hope everyone has opportunities and time to reflect on what is really important in life and count each and every blessing!

Hugs!
Annie

This is what it's all about...