Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sonora: 6th Grade Camp

I spent the last week in Sonora with my 6th grade class. The students look forward to this trip from the moment they start school and it was wonderful to be a part of it. The day before we left we were informed that 3 feet of snow had fallen on our campsite in a freak storm, wow, way to initiate me my first year at camp! However, the kids were even more excited that we would be spending the week in the snow. We spent the week hiking through snow filled trails, completing team challenges, and testing ourselves by completing activities we wouldn't normally do. I did not know when I left for Sonora that I would be pushed to my limits and try new things like high ropes and riding a zip line. It was a wonderful time to bond with my students and see some of them push themselves further than I had even imagined they would. I loved watching them play in the snow, this was something new for them, they never see snow in Fresno, for some of them it was the first time they had seen snow. On the bus ride home I sat in the front seat listening to my students' conversations, even though they were exhausted they couldn't stop talking about all the had done and learned at camp, it made me smile. It is moment's like these when I am reminded of the innocence of these 6th grade students. These are memories I will never forget!
Hugs, Annie